Thursday, June 25, 2009

Squash Relish

Here is another way to preserve squash---Squash Relish. I made this yesterday, but have not tasted it yet. It smelled similar to Bread and Butter Pickles. I ground the veggies on the course grind of my Kitchen Aid attachment, but might try something a little more like hand-chopped next time. I shared this with some of my friends and have asked them to taste it and add their thoughts in the comments section--rating it from 1 to 4, with one being "I hate it!" to 4 being "I love it!". I used one green zucchini and the rest was yellow squash.

Squash Relish = 8 pints

12 c. squash, grated
4 c. onion, chopped
2 green peppers, chopped
5 tbsp. salt

Mix the above ingredients together, place in a colander and let drain over night. The next day make a sauce of the following:

2 1/2 c. white vinegar
5 c. sugar
2 tbsp. pickling spice
1 tsp. tumeric
1 tsp. celery salt

Bring all sauce ingredients to a boil, then strain. Pour over the squash mixture and stir. Bring to a boil. Ladle into hot jars; add cap and band to seal. No processing necessary.

2 comments:

  1. I really set myself up with this taste-test! I tasted this relish and really liked it! I give it a "4"! My husband, Dave, liked it and gave it a "3". He said it would be good on hot dogs, too. We had BBQ'd hamburgers that night and put the relish on them--so good! There's nothing about this that says "squash"!--Judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not much for sweet relish, but must say it was good. I give it a 3.75. Was good on a veggiepatty.
    Know I know another recipe to use up my zucc's.
    --Bill

    ReplyDelete