Friday, July 3, 2009

Canning Bananas

Today I will be canning bananas! The other night I was thinking that I needed to use some over-ripe bananas or freeze them. Our freezers (small chest freezer and our side-by-side refrigerator/freezer) are both full. Then, I wondered if you could can bananas--I found that you can! The complete instructions are at: http://www.endofordinary.blogspot.com/2009/05/canned-banana.html . There, "Granola Girl" tells how she came to can bananas. There are two ways to do it: 1) chunked, and 2) pureed. I will be making the pureed for future use in making banana bread. Granola Girl also says that when precooking bananas, the smell "is kinda nauseating," so be forewarned. It may be best to can bananas when the rest of the family is gone! She also said that the banana puree turns pink when canned, but she didn't know why. When canning bananas, a pressure cooker is a must (it takes only 8 minutes at 6# pressure). She has pictures of the process, making the whole thing super-easy to understand.

What to do with the banana peels when you are through canning bananas? Visit my blog at: http://www.tendingtheveggies.blogspot.com , where Monday I will share some interesting things that you can do with banana peels.

2 comments:

  1. You have been a busy bee my friend. Bananas of all things! Great idea. I read all your post going back to the squash relish. You're amazing & I appreciate this wealth of information you're providing us.

    I have a question. I can't really tell which canners are better. The aluminum or stainless steel ones. It seems like people from the beginning of time use aluminum, but we all know stainless steel is great. What's your opinion on that? Thanks Judy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aluminum works really well. It has stood the test of time! It is more heavy-duty than aluminum pots and pans. I used to can in one that belonged to my aunt, which she canned in back in the 1920s+. It worked beautifully!

    ReplyDelete