Thursday, July 2, 2009

Canning Butter

There is some controversy over canning butter. Several people say they have been canning butter for many years without a problem. The USDA says not to can butter. "Canning" butter is not done with a pressure canner or a water-bath canner.

Kellene, at http://www.preparednesspro.wordpress.com/?s=canning+butter, researched the matter. She found that if the jars, lids and utensils are sterilized well and the butter prepared properly (she gives the directions), then she feels it is safe.

It is intriguing to think we could can butter. I will not tell you to can butter or to not can butter. Research it on your own--knowledge is powerful. Let me know of your thoughts by posting a comment.

2 comments:

  1. I have canned butter before and found that it's better if you clarify the butter. This makes for less seperation in the jar once processed. I'm looking forward totrying this method with salted and unsalted butter. et you know once I get around to doing it.
    --Bill "Grandpa's Pantry"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go, Bill! I will be canning some butter Monday. I will be using the method that I wrote about, from Kellene. She convinced me!

    ReplyDelete