Saturday, August 15, 2009

Salsa

This is what I was doing yesterday! It was very unplanned, but when nature gives you abundance, you take it! Yesterday morning when I went out to water, I saw that there were three ripe tomatoes. I started picking them, and then noticed there were more. There were so many covered completely with green foliage, and by the time I was finished picking tomatoes, I had nearly 40 pounds! With my freezers full, I had to can them somehow--so I made salsa. I used the Super Salsa recipe, but substituted lemon juice for the vinegar. It won't be sweet this time, and I hope the flavor is good. I spent 8 hours working on it (lots of time preparing the tomatoes) and ended up with 17 pints of salsa. We don't eat that much salsa, so my son and his family will get some. The leftover tomatoes are in the refrigerator hoping to make it into the freezer!

2 comments:

  1. My dad and I made salsa after the canning seminar. As we were finishing up the last jar we realized that we had forgotten to add the cilantro! There it was, all chopped and ready to go and we had forgotten to add it! So we opened up the jar, rinsed everything, reheated the lids and jars and reloaded the jars. We only had 8 jars, so it wasn't too bad. We actually laughed about it. Thanks for the yummy recipe! Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. We all have done things like that! Go, Amy!

    ReplyDelete