Thursday, August 13, 2009

Tomato Ketchup

I made a little ketchup the other day--I am on a quest to find a recipe that tastes like commercial ketchup, so I will be trying several different recipes. This recipe makes 1 1/2 to 2 pints, so I didn't risk too much if I didn't like it. I found that it is quite tart! I will find a recipe that doesn't have any vinegar in it! It's not bad, just not what I am searching for.

Tomato Ketchup

32 medium tomatoes (8 lbs.), quartered
1 c. sliced onions
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
----------------------
1 c. vinegar
1 1/2 tsp. whole cloves
1 1/2 tsp. broken stick cinnamon
1/2 tsp. whole allspice
1 tsp. celery seeds
----------------------
1/2 c. sugar
4 tsp. salt

Combine tomatoes, onions and cayenne pepper. Cook, uncovered, 20 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking.

Combine vinegar,m spices and celery seeds in kettle. Bring to a boil; remove from heat. Let stand so vinegar will absorb seasoning of spices.

Put tomato mixture through food mill or sieve. Combine with sugar and cook, stirring frequently, until volume is reduced one half (about 1 1/4 hours).

Strain vinegar to remove spices. Add salt to vinegar and stir into tomato mixture. Continue boiling, uncovered, until thick, stirring (about 1/2 hour).

Pour into hot, sterilized jars; seal at once.

Process: boiling water bath for 10 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment