Monday, August 3, 2009

Think About It . . .

Take 3 minutes--right now--and picture yourself in this situation, and make it as real as your imagination can possibly make it:

If, for some strange reason, all of the washing machines and dryers suddenly "died"--how would you take care of your family's clothes? How would you wash them, dry them? Do you have the equipment to clean and hang them to dry?

How prepared are you??

I am not prepared. My parents, in northern Idaho, had an old wringer washer that they were holding for me. I haven't been able to get up there by car to pick it up, so it went to the dump (sob!). I wanted that washer for emergency use as I know how to hook it up to a bike using a pulley system, to make it "wash" without electricity.

My goal for this week is to buy a mop bucket with a wringer attachment, and some clothesline. I have a lot of clothespins already. This system is number 20 on "The First 100 Things to Disappear After a Collapse" list. Don't forget to store enough laundry soap and liquid fabric softener for your family's needs. Think about using the "gray water" when you are finished washing--water that is not drinkable, but still safe for plants, to water your fruit trees and vegetable garden [if you will be doing this, make sure the laundry soap and softener is acceptable for this purpose, otherwise you will kill your plants].

Fall Gardening here --green beans.

No comments:

Post a Comment